1. Cook meat thoroughly, add desired seasoning if desired
2. Drain meat and mix salsa/tomato paste to coat meat for flavor
3. Scoop out seeds from peppers and cut into boats (each pepper = 4-6 pepper boats/bites)
4. Scoop meat into pepper boats and sprinkle cheese on top of the meat
5. Either heat up in microwave for 2-3 minutes or stick bell pepper boats onto a non stick baking sheet in the oven at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or until all of the cheese is melted)
6. Remove boats from oven (or microwave) and top with your choice of vegetable (such as minced onions, lettuce, etc.)
You can also top these bits with low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
By substituting the chips for the bell peppers you are able to cut out a huge overload of carbs without sacrificing the quality or flavor of this dish.
By using lean meat, this will also allow you to cut the amount of fat that is traditionally in this dish. You can get creative and add diced tomatoes, olives, and other things that you will traditionally find in nachos. Please be mindful when you add more items. That can compromise the healthy nutritional value of this meal.