Does your family regularly participate in weekly meals?
When I was a child, I knew that some days of the week we would be graced with tacos…or spaghetti…or burgers. And as a child, I think there is nothing more exciting than expecting to have one of your favorite meals each week!
BUT this could be a potential problem for those who are trying to adapt healthier eating habits,
NO WORRIES! I am sharing some healthier alternatives that can turn your Taco Tuesday into a HEALTHIER Taco Tuesday. Now you and your family can keep your taco date each week without you breaking your healthy eating habit!
- Try using LOW FAT sour cream and cheese. This can help cut those unwanted calorie intake in almost half!
- Try using soft tortillas and try to use WHOLE WHEAT tortillas instead of the traditional shells.
- Have you ever considered using ground turkey meat instead of regular meat? If you do not like turkey meat try to get LEAN hamburger meat.
- Try to have steamed veggies instead of Mexican rice and beans (or you can use black beans for a healthier option!)
- Try to measure out correct portion sizes for your tacos/taco salad so you are sure to not double the food you are supposed to consume for the meal!
- Skip the carbonated drinks or sweet tea! Try to stick to water for your beverage of choice
- try to limit or cut out guacamole! Yes it is healthy for you but it packs a lot of calories!
- Think about using shopped baked chicken or shrimp instead of beef!
Still want chips with your meal? Try to make your own! Get a normal round tortilla, lightly spread some olive oil on top, slice the tortilla into the desired chip sizes you would like, then sprinkle it with sea salt (or any other spices you may have). Put your over on 350 degrees. Place your tortillas in the over for about 15 minutes. MAKE SURE TO WATCH IT! They get brown pretty quickly. You can let them get as brown as you would like before they burn (the browner they are the more crunchy they are!) Take them out and let them cool for about 10 minutes, and you have healthier “chips” for you to enjoy with your meal.
There are a lot of things you can change or add to make your family meals a healthier meal! You just have to be mindful of the ingredients you are using and learn what to substitute to help make it taste just as yummy as you would like! You do not have to sacrifice good tasting food so you can eat healthier!
Happy Taco Tuesday!